A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.
In general, there are three different ways to classify cookies:
- Duration - how long they endure
- Session cookies - These cookies are temporary and expire once you close your browser (or once your session ends).
- Persistent cookies — This category encompasses all cookies that remain on your hard drive until you erase them or your browser does, depending on the cookie’s expiration date.
- Provenance - who set the cookie
- First-party cookies - As the name implies, first-party cookies are put on your device directly by the SBC website.
- Third-party cookies - These are the cookies that are placed on your device, not by the SBC website, but by a third party like an analytic system.
- Purpose - how they are used
- Strictly necessary cookies — These cookies are essential for you to browse the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the site.
- Preferences cookies — Also known as “functionality cookies,” these cookies allow a website to remember choices you have made in the past.
- Statistics cookies — Also known as “performance cookies,” these cookies collect information about how you use a website, like which pages you visited and which links you clicked on. None of this information can be used to identify you. It is all aggregated and, therefore, anonymized. Their sole purpose is to improve website functions.
Cookies used on SBC
Strictly necessary cookies: [ASP.NET_SessionId] - General purpose platform session cookie, used by sites written with Miscrosoft .NET based technologies. Used to maintain an anonymised user session by the server.
Preferences cookies: [site-cookies] - this cookie remembers your choice from the cookie banner where we ask for consent to use Statistics cookies.
Statistics cookies: [NID, _ga, _gat_gtag_UA*, _gid] - We use the 3rd party Google Analytics to analyse the use of our website. Google Analytics gathers information about website use by means of cookies . The information gathered relating to our website is used to create reports about the use of our website.
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies and to delete cookies. The methods for doing so vary from browser to browser, and from version to version. You can, however, obtain up-to-date information about blocking and deleting cookies via these links:
- Chrome (windows, android, iPhone or iPad)
- Safari on mac
- Safari on iPhone/iPad